VOTItaly – Rebuild Joomla! Rating System
Posted in Joomla | March 9, 2009
The “VOTItaly” Plugin is the evolution of the default Joomla! voting/rating system. The plugin is an eye-candy “star rater”, which uses AJAX technology to seemlessly process your visitor votes on your articles (content items) without reloading the page. It’s probably the coolest way to add voting functionality to your Joomla! website.
This extensions is released for Joomla! 1.5.x and is published under GPLv2.
- Mootools v1.11 compatible – It uses Joomla! core files
- Ajax rating system
- Possibility to choose what to show: stars, number of votes, average
- Full customization of the stars description
- No components required
You can install VOTItaly for Joomla! 1.5 in few steps, just go into the administrator panel and:
- Select from the top menu: Extensions -> Install/Uninstall.
- Click on Upload Package File button.
- Select plg_ji_votitaly_v1.2_j1.5.zip from your local drive.
- Click Upload & Install button.
VOTItaly is now installed. You can customize your new plugin accessing from: Extensions -> Plugin Manager, where it’s listed as “Content – VOTItaly“.
After you install the plugin using the “Joomla! Installer”, go to Extensions -> Plugin Manager, where you need to
- publish Content – VOTItaly (JOOMItaly)
- unpublish Content – Rating
Now, enable rating on your contents or your menu to see it in action. That’s it! Now visit your website and you will see that the voting (rating) system is enabled!
To completely remove the plugin, from your Joomla! 1.5 administration, you have to follow these two steps:
- Extensions » Install/Uninstall » Plugin » check Content – VOTItaly (JOOMItaly) » Uninstall
- Open your Database Control Panel and launch the following query: “DROP TABLE `jos_vi_rating`” (if necessary replace “jos” with your Joomla! 1.5 Database prefix)
To upgrade to the latest version please uninstall all previous versions of VOTItaly and install the new package.
Version 1.2 (released on August 27th, 2009)
- The plugin allow now to limit the rating submission to only registered users.
- The plugin can accept periodical rating submissions from registered users (the interval is configurable in the plugin preferences).
- New languages compatibility added (da-DK, el-GR, pt-BR, sv-SE).
Version 1.1 (released on January 6th, 2009)
- The plugin makes now valid XHTML 1.1 content.
- Full customizable content rating description.
- Fixes an Internal Server Error (e500) problems with some servers.
- New languages compatibility added (de-DE, es-ES, fa-IR, nl-NL, pl-PL, ru-RU, zh-CN, zh-TW).
Version 1.0 (released on July 01th, 2008)
- First stable version of the “VOTItaly” Plugin released.